This blog reflects my personal ideas and does not represent any position of the US government or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Hut Life

Just got back from my "volunteer visit" where I spent a few days learning about hut life! I don't have too many exciting updates since my last post, however, I did get to ride in some interesting transportation. To get to the remote village (not the one I will be staying in, but by the time you get this rural in Senegal its usually all the same) I rode on what's called a sareet. A sareet is like a horse or donkey drawn carriage, and by carriage, I mean some boards attached to a couple of wheels with the animal tied to the front. I also rode in a couple of buses/seven passenger cars where goat, sheep, cows and chickens are frequently strapped to the top or hanging out in the trunk. I'm sorry to say that I have not captured a picture of this yet, something to look forward to.

I did however take some pictures of what my living situation will probably look like for the next two years. I uploaded these pictures to a public album on photobucket, check it out!! Just as a note, the people in the pictures are members of the homestay family of the volunteer who I visited, I don't really know these people. This will just give you a taste of my environment, enjoy!

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/katierichards0/

No comments:

Post a Comment