This blog reflects my personal ideas and does not represent any position of the US government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Korite

   
All the kids!
My mother, Fatouxadi
and her youngest, Sulemon.

Khadi Sarr (the second wife)
and her first child, Ibrahima
(now 4 months)













The boys!


















Just the lovely ladies...
This past Monday was the celebration of Korite, or the end of Ramadan. Everyone in my family wore their best outfits for the occasion and cooked up a nice lunch of goat meat, potatoes, onions and macaroni (all in a sauce, a good change of a pace!). Here are a few pictures of the occasion!

2 comments:

  1. Katie, I love seeing your posts and watch for them regularly. I was so torn to see your post of the hard work and sacrifice you experienced during Ramadan, and really enjoyed your beautiful photos of the celebration afterwards. I am so proud of you and so happy that you are having these life altering experiences! xo Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,

    Beautiful pictures - some really great smiles there and they bring back lots of memories. I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Senegal – 3 years in the northern part of the country (quite a few years back now though..) Luckily, I still have occasion to get back as my wife is Senegalese.

    Seeing as you are actually there on the ground, I’m know you are acutely aware of the recent floods and the terrible toll they are taking. To try to make a small contribution to the relief efforts, my wife has just launched an online fundraising campaign for this: http://www.razoo.com/story/Senegal-Flood-Relief-Aide-Pour-Les-Inondation-Au-S-N-Gal.

    I realize being an active volunteer makes a donation unlikely (and actually unnecessary since you are already making such a valuable commitment)but anything you can do to help spread the work to your own networks (even just liking the page on FB) would be great.

    Enjoy the rest of your service and look forward to following more of it here on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete